Swimming Caps Off Historic Season

Channel 4 4Frenzy Feature Story

UDJ+Swim+Instagram+

UDJ Swim Instagram

Conor Place '22, Cub News Writer

This past weekend, the U of D Varsity Swim Team finished 2nd in the MHSAA Division 2 Swim State Finals at Oakland University. The Cubs fell to Ann Arbor Skyline by just 25 points, finishing with a total of 266 and beating notable opponents Grosse Pointe South and BH Groves. Senior Christian Bouchillon took first in the 100 Backstroke, and fellow senior Drew Collins took first in the 200 IM as well as a second place finish alongside Bouchillon in the 100 Backstroke. The team also saw top 3 finishes in 5 other events:

– 2nd in the 200 Medley Relay: Drew Collins, Andres Borrego, Charlie Bruce, Christian Bouchillon 

– 3rd in the 50 Freestyle: Charlie Bruce

– 3rd in 200 Freestyle Relay: Evan Tack, Jake Ervin, Kiernan Tague, Charlie Bruce

– 2nd in 400 Freestyle Relay: Christian Bouchillon, Jordan Bouchillon, Drew Collins, Evan Tack

– 2nd in 99 & Under 50 Freestyle Paralympic: Jack Fritz

Being there myself, the atmosphere was electric. Even with the large seating inside of Oakland’s pool, the Cubs showed out and packed the stands to the brim. At one point, one of the staff told us we had to move because we had so many students. This moment was just another example of why U of D has the best student section in the state.

Although a runner-up finish is never what a team wants, it was a historic way for the swim team to close a historic season: no previous U of D team has ever finished 2nd in the state finals. On another positive note, the team has young talent that will continue to get better. Head coach Drew Edson acknowledges the team’s promising future: “We’re going to stay up top for a long time, I’ll tell you that”.