2023 UDJ Signing Day

Senior D1 commits- Jaden Reed, Eddie Hudson, Sonny Wilson

Eddie Hudson, Cub News Writer

Three talented U of D athletes solidified their status as college athletes on Wednesday, February 1st. All three setting off to play division one athletics, each of them reflecting on what it takes to make it to this highly competitive level. Not many high school athletes go to college for their sport, so this honor is huge for them. In recent years, our school has produced great athletes in very big recruiting classes, but this year was different. Even though this class may be small, this is one of the first times that every signed athlete from the school was division one bound. 

The first signee is Sonny Wilson. Sonny is making his way down to Toledo, Ohio in the fall to play basketball at the University of Toledo. Wilson is a prolific guard for the Cubs, producing around 20 points per game consistently. Sonny will be a key part to Toledo’s success in the Mid-American conference, and will definitely help them defend their championship that they won last year. He has been a 4 year varsity player and has shown that he has what it takes to play at the next level ever since he stepped foot on the court at The High. Sonny joins the likes of Cassius Winston and Daniel Friday by going division one from our basketball program in recent history. 

Next, there is Jaiden Reed who is heading west to join the University of  Iowa’s track and field team in the fall. Reed is another 4 year varsity athlete that will undoubtedly have success at the college level. Reed hopes to dominate the Big Ten Conference with his blinding speed and rapid acceleration. He holds multiple records for sprints in the state of Michigan and will go down as one of the best track sprinters in U of D history. 

Last but certainly not least is Eddie Hudson. Hudson is an outlier in UDJ athletics because he has never played a single game for the school. Eddie plays travel soccer for the Michigan Wolves instead. Hudson will be joining the Duquesne Dukes (PA) soccer team in the fall. Duquesne is coming off a great season as a top 25 team and they hope Hudson can carry that winning culture. Eddie is an elite ball carrying center back with insane vision and precision passing. His size and technical skill will definitely carry over well to the collegiate level. 

Wilson, Reed, and Hudson will set off to represent the Cub in college and will carry the values and habits that U of D taught them. This is an honor that not a lot of people get to do in their lifetime and as a school, we all wish them luck on their future endeavors.