The State of the Senate

Sam Lanni, Sergeant-at-Arms, addresses the student body on the current state of the UDJ Student Senate

The State of the Senate

Sam Lanni, Student Senate Sergeant-At-Arms

Gentleman, it has been a crazy year!  Who would have thought last year that there would be a global pandemic and that UDJ would have hybrid learning?!  In spite of all the change and confusion, the UDJ Student Senate has remained a constant presence at The High.  We continue to host events, plan activities, and serve as a voice for the students.  Recent success shows itself in our Ghostly Grove Haunted Hike event.  This event took place in October, and in collaboration with the Mercy High School Student Senate, we put together a haunted house type activity.  With over 40 Mercy students and 15 UDJ students in attendance, this was a great way for students to meet new people in a socially distanced setting.  Additionally, although we could not have a traditional Homecoming week, we still put forward daily dress down themes all leading up to the Spirit Games consisting of kickball, cornhole, and spike-ball tournaments.  To cap this off, we recently proposed Spirit Days every Friday for the remainder of the first semester.  After negotiating with Mr. Chandler and Ms. Ong, we are happy to announce the motion was granted!  Overall, this has been one heck of a year, and the Student Senate is nowhere near slowing down!  We have even more fun, creative events planned, so stay tuned! And as always:  Be smart.  Be safe.  Be kind.  God Bless.  Go Cubs.  Amen.