Why you should be hopeful of the Detroit Tigers

Elliott Piasecki '22, Contributor

Tarik Skubal, Matt Manning, and Casey Mize posing for MLB media day 2020 (Courtesy: Roto Professor)

For the Detroit Tigers, it has been a couple of bumpy years. It has been six years since the Tigers have seen the playoffs.  It has been five years straight since the Tigers have had a winning record. In these seasons, they have had a combined total of three different managers; Brad Ausmus, Ron Gardenhire, and Llyod McClendon. Now, as the Tigers enter the 2021 season, they are led by another new hire, AJ Hinch. Hinch was previously the Astros manager who led them to a widely disputed World Series win and was issued a one season suspension due to cheating. 

Check out the full story here

Hinch is confident that this year will be a new beginning for both himself and for the team. With young stars on the rise, the Tigers look to be a playoff contender in the coming years. Some talented prospects for the Tigers include right handed pitcher Casey Mize, who made his major league debut earlier in 2020, striking out seven batters during his first start as a Tiger. With a 7.5 million dollar contract, Mize is bound to be an ace in Detroit. Another upcoming superstar for the Tigers, Spencer Torkelson, was the #1 overall pick in the 2020 draft. After going under the radar in high school, Torkelson made his presence known as the Arizona State first baseman hit with tremendous power. During his ASU days, he broke the one and only Barry Bonds’ all time home run record for a freshman. Torkelson hit 25 home runs that year destroying Bonds’ 11. With that being said, the Tigers signed him to an 8.4 million dollar contract and expect big things from him. 

With a fresh season, a new manager who’s ready to win, and upcoming talent, the Tigers appear to be a well rounded team, with a very good shot and the playoffs, a winning record, or maybe even more.