Jetta V. Chase

Chris Mutebi '22, Writer

The “Griddy” is now one of the most famous celebration dances when it comes to the sport of football. NFL players Ja’Marr Chase and Justin Jefferson are the two head honchos when it comes to the execution of this art. The dance first garnered attention when, in 2019, Jefferson used it to celebrate a touchdown against the Texas Longhorns on Louisiana State’s road to the national title. Both Jefferson and Chase were members of LSU’s 2019-2020 championship team, breaking a plethora of records on their way to capping off their perfect 15-0 season with an easy 42-25 victory over Clemson. Jefferson would go on to be drafted as the 22nd pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, and Chase would follow a year later as the 5th pick in the 2021 Draft. While the Griddy first hit the national scene during their championship season, its invention actually came years earlier. In 2016 Allen “Griddy” Davis performed it in the weight room of Landry Walker High School in New Orleans, to get hyped up with his teammates. The hot debate of this NFL season, however, has been who has the better Griddy between Chase and Jefferson. Many believe it to be Chase, who has even gotten the stamp of approval from “Griddy” Davis himself, while Justin has his own number of loyal fans backing him, with the dance becoming his signature celebration. I personally believe that Justin hits it with more sauce and flare than Ja’Marr, but Ja’Marr has his own moves that make his version look smooth. Who do you think hits it better?